Benno Rothschild focuses his practice on commercial real estate, with an emphasis on acquisitions, dispositions and retail, office and industrial leasing. Mr. Rothschild has developed extensive experience in the development and leasing of outlet shopping centers and is the chair of Hartman Simons’ Outlet Center Development and Leasing team. He also has strong experience in real estate finance related matters.
Mr. Rothschild counsels clients in retail real estate leasing, from both the landlord and tenant side, with tenant’s ranging in size from less than 1,000 feet to anchor department store leases for stores greater than 100,000 square feet. He has also represented local small shop tenants, national small and mid-size tenants, and anchor tenants in both strip shopping centers and malls. He possesses a wide experience in representing landlords in various leasing activities, including office and industrial properties. Mr. Rothschild has worked extensively with shopping center developments, from land acquisition through construction and disposition. He has represented both lenders and borrowers in real estate related finance and has served as local counsel for several large inter-state financing transactions.
An avid collector of original comic and fantasy art, he is an editor of the Comic and Fantasy Art Amateur Press Association. He also enjoys cycling, reading, independent film, and travel.
PUBLICATIONS & RECOGNITION
- Advised Sudberry Properties on a Millenia Commons project, in which Sudberry Properties joined forces with Ayers Hotels to develop a 131,800 square-foot “lifestyle destination center” (full article)
- Presenter, 2015 NBI Seminar, Retail, Office and Restaurant Leases: Key Provisions and Warranties
- Speaker at leasing seminars for the International Conference of Shopping Centers and other real estate-related seminars
- Speaker at 2016 ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, We Finally Got a Piece of the Pie: Perimeter and Outparcel Development
- Globe Street.com, Inside the Outlet Mall Boom
- Value Retail News Guest Column, The Fab Five: Outlet Clauses to Live By (2013)
- Value Retail News Guest Column, Untangling Lease Co-Tenancy (2014)
- Value Retail News Guest Column, Outlet Lawsuits Highlight the Need to Update Leases (2015)
- Value Retail News Guest Column, Leasing Headache No.1: Inclusion of Exclusions (2016)
- Value Retail News Guest Column, Letter of Intent: Is Less More? More or Less…? (2017)
- Value Retail News Guest Column, Top 5 Ways The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act May Affect The Outlet Center Business (2018)
- Appeared on a 2016 broadcast of The Commercial Real Estate Show, Multifamily Market Growth, Supply, and Lending
- Appeared on 11 Alive News showcasing his comic art collection
- Appeared on ALM’s Law.com, Passions Outside the Firm: Atlanta Lawyer Digs Comic Relief
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Completed well over half a million feet of office leases
- Completed well over a million feet of industrial leases
- Represented Invesco on their industrial portfolio in the Carolinas and Georgia
- Practiced in the areas of corporate law and tax law and has extensive experience in general corporate and partnership issues with tax ramifications